Saturday, May 7, 2011

The other Side

Booking a tour or cycling trip are some of the more popular things to do in Luang Prabang. I intended to see some of the villages, however I thought it might be interesting to explore by foot first. I was told that there were a few weaving workshops nearby. A bamboo foot bridge was the shortcut to a narrow dirt road which followed the river. I walked for about an hour - passing a woodcarver working on furniture outside a house on the way.
Wondering if I was ever going to get there as it was getting very hot and dusty, I finally saw the first of several workshops housing the weavers and their wares. Of course everyone wants you to go to their shop, and it is difficult to tactfully leave without buying! I settled on two runners from the last shop along the road, where a gorgeous rooster patrolled - one silk and one cotton woven in the traditional Lao style.

No comments:

Post a Comment